Friday 18 October 2013


Thing 8 - Is this a Really Special Service?

So I’m still sticking with the 23Things in the hope that I’ll discover ways to enhance the researcher experience.  Today’s challenge is exploring RSS feeds (new to me).  I read through the options and decide to go for Google Reader – but find it’s no longer available (wonder why 23Things hadn’t deleted details from their recommendations? Google Reader ceased to exist four months ago).  
Ah well.  
After a bit of surfing for other web feeds, decide to try Pulse. 

I like the theory of an RSS feed – linking all favourite webpages to one site.  What a special service.  So the "Science" page on Pulse has become my “Researching" page and I've linked various blogs and PhD-helpful websites to it so that they are all there together. We’ll see how useful a tool it will be in practice…  Or could it turn out to be a distraction from what I should really be doing?  

It’s on a month’s trial.

No comments:

Post a Comment