Friday 1 November 2013


Twitter – Thing 7


I’m a Twitter rookie, but I think it’s great because –

1)   … it is proving to be a fantastic way to hear about what is going on in my Research World, ie conferences, book launches, book reviews, links to events.   I don’t follow personal friends and I am using it only for work - following groups, museums, institutions, associations, etc.

2)    … tweets are necessarily short and to the point; I like that.  

3)   … it provides the opportunity to ask questions and crowdsource.  Thanks for that suggestion on 23 Things.  Must experiment more.

As a fluttery, newly-fledged tweeter, I did have a question though: how to manage the number of ‘follows’?  (I mean, what is the realistic number of tweets that anyone can scroll down and actually read in a day - when one is, ahem, supposed to be absorbed and working in one’s real Research World?)  I like the idea of categorising them, so will try listing them with Tweetdeck in the way that blog ‘Technical Tattle’ has suggested. 

RSS – Thing 8


I tried Pulse for a bit, but then downloaded the RSS Notifier app.  It keeps the notification bar visible, beside the menu, and I like that.  Of course Twitter is also really providing a news feed in the way that I use it.  So, one way and another, I am now feeling incredibly well fed with information.  Like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment